Monday, September 30, 2013

It Takes An Army


O exampled love!  O all-redeeming grace!
How swiftly did thou move to save a fallen race;
What shall I do to make it known
What thou for all mankind hast done?
Charles Wesley

Ken and I recently had the privilege of leading a divisional meeting at the Kakamega Township Primary School, one of more than 800 that the Army sponsors in this Territory.  Having arrived a bit early, Ken took the opportunity to take a quick look around the school compound, while I was invited to sit down for a moment in the shade.  As I sat there, I watched one soldier walk around the field on which the meeting would take place, clearing away cow dung. Two other soldiers brushed off the dais and the reviewing stand with tree branches.  School children raced to see who could bring out the most benches and chairs from the various classrooms, and a group of young adults set up the sound system, stringing long wires from tree to tree.  All kinds of people were running to and fro, and I couldn't help but smile as I imagined the women back at Divisional Headquarters who were probably running after the chicken that would become my Sunday meal.

To put on a big event, I thought, it takes an army.

While in Nairobi at COAL (Conference of African Leaders), Ken and I decided that we would spend our free day doing some shopping at our favorite mall.  The plan was for our driver to drop me off at Westgate, take Ken to do a few errands, and then bring my husband back in time for lunch and a movie.  Approximately five minutes before Noon, Ken arrived at the mall, came up the steps, and met me just inside the front entrance.  He asked if I was ready to go upstairs for lunch.  I hesitated a moment, weighing a meal at my favorite restaurant against a visit to another shopping mall across town.  When I decided on the latter, Ken quickly got on the phone to see if he could catch our driver before he left the area.  Miraculously, he was still in the parking lot, and he promptly drove back to the front steps to pick us up.

As we drove away, the shooting started.  We had just missed being part of the tragedy that has stunned the world.

That night, as my husband and I lay in bed, we thanked the Lord for his protection.  We prayed for the hostages, we asked why we were spared, and we asked Him to show us what we should do as His servants.  We may never receive answers to all of our questions, of course, but the whole experience reminded me of the fact that, as scripture says, we are engaged in a war.

This war is not about religion, race, or politics.  It is not a war against certain people or any particular nation, but rather a war for all people.  Satan's desire is to steal, kill, and destroy, and he does this best when he seeks to destroy relationships, whether it is the relationship between God and man or the relationships we have with one another.  Hatred and intolerance are his greatest weapons.  But our God is Love, and that love is far more powerful than anything Satan can throw at us.

Kakamega soldiers on their knees, equipped for combat.

To win this war, I believe, it takes an Army.  And as one member of this great Salvation Army, which is motivated by, committed to, and loudly proclaims God's love, I for one am ready for battle. 

Overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us enough to die for us. 
 Romans 8:37 TLB.




8 comments:

  1. Jolene, you know how precious James is to Denice and I, but we also have a deep appreciation for you and Ken as well. Having said that we are blown away by God's grace and provision in leading you away from the tragedy. He has great plans for the both of you as you serve HIM! BLESSINGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry! God has great plans for all of us...Isn't that exciting? Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful that you guys were safe. When I heard the story I got chills. Scary stuff :( You are in my thoughts and prayers always. Stay safe and God bless you guys for your dedication to the army and God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so thankful that you two are safe under HIS care. Your mission there is not done and the work is great. I know God will bless you and the working you are doing.
    Thank you for the information and so Gracefully put. His message needs to be spread and there is no other way. You both are Blessed by the Father and you have answered his calling. Be safe and know we are praying for this wonderful work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank God that women love to shop....and thank God for your safety ...so much in my head that I want to say..but I will just sum it up to. ... WE LOVE YOU BOTH...BE CAREFUL....Did you fry or bake that chicken? Did Ken stuff it with his pride bananas. Jo...send us a picture of Ken climbing that banana tree. I would frame it in a minute and make your Aunt Billie smile. Love you both again.

    ReplyDelete